The amount of child obesity in the U.S. has TRIPLED in the last 30 years! So many people think that exercise is "boring" and that healthy food "tastes bad"... But that doesn't necessarily need to be true! Here are a few fun tips to keep you fit!
1. Eat a variety of nutrient-rich foods. You need more than 40 different nutrients for good health, and no single food supplies them all. Your daily food selection should include bread and other whole-grain products; fruits; vegetables; dairy products; and meat, poultry, fish and other protein foods.
2. It doesn't exactly matter WHAT you eat as much as HOW MUCH you eat! You can still eat what you'd like, just be sure to keep on eye out on the portion size... The recommended serving of cooked meat is 3 oz. , similar to a deck of playing cards.
3. Balance your food choices over time. Not every food has to be "perfect." When eating a food high in fat, salt or sugar, select other foods that are low in these ingredients. If you miss out on any food group one day, make up for it the next. Your food choices over several days should fit together into a healthy pattern.
4. Video games can actually make you thin! DDR ( Dance Dance Revolution ) is a GREAT way to exercise!
5. Get outside! Going for a short bike-ride is fun, easy, AND good exercise! If I feel like I need some exercise, but don't really feel like doing it, I reward myself with biking to a nearby gas station! Also, a short run ( less that 1 minute ) followed by a short walk is pretty easy and helps if you want to lose weight!
6. Workout with a partner! Working out with a partner is always a great idea! You'll have someone to keep you company, as well as to motivate you.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
10 oz. strawberries (without stems) 2 ripe bananas 3 tbsp. sugar or honey 1 c. ice cubes 3/4 c. milk
Wash strawberries and remove banana peels. In a blender, process all ingredients until smooth.