6.13.2012

Red Velvet Mug Cake



I LOVE single serving recipes. Obsession? Almost. Last night I was looking around Pinterest for some more to try out. Sadly, I had eaten enough sweets already. Lame. But I found one I just HAD to try today! Kirbie's Cravings has TONS! They even did a whole series. That being said- I. was. in. heaven. 
And don't you worry! I will be trying MANY more in the upcoming weeks days. :)


While I was making this, I was thinking why red velvet is any different than chocolate cake…
I mean really. It's basically the same thing with a dash of red food coloring. OOOH impressive!
If I added some green coloring to my white cake, would I be a genius? I think yes. :)

The recipe was a little much for just one person in my opinion. I didn't feel like eating a whole mug {notice I broke the rules on that one} of cake. I had a friend coming over to get crafty with so I thought I'd make us a little treat. I may or may not have eaten it all before she even got here… Aren't I a great friend? I know...

Just kidding. Know that if you become my friend though, my baking gets tied in with the deal.
 Let's be friends, shall we?



Red Velvet Mug Cake
from :: Kirbie's Cravings
serves 1-2


For the cake:
4 tbsp flour
4 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 tsp red food coloring

For the frosting:
2 tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients together into an oversized mug using a fork or small whisk until batter is smooth. Cook in microwave for about 1 min 30 seconds. It might need an additional 30 seconds. Be careful not to overcook as batter will become dense and rubbery.

Let cake cool slightly before piping frosting. For frosting, combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cake.


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I've never come across a recipe for a single (or double!) serving of red velvet cake that can be made in a mug. I can so see this becoming a regular thing. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Soooooooo yummy. Love the new look, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish1 I'm pinning this for a late night craving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks and sounds amazing, thanks for sharing. I love that there is an option for someone to have some cake without baking a whole cake that would just go to waste

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would highly suggest using powdered sugar instead if regular sugar in the frosting. I used regular sugar because the recipe didn't specify otherwise and the frosting turned out gritty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Traditionally Red Velvet cake was made with vinegar and buttermilk so there was a chemical reaction with the cocoa, causing the reddish color... :) So if made "traditionally" it's not really just like chocolate cake. But this looks delish, great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an red velvet addiction and have made this once. It's divine and I had no idea that this could all be made in the microwave so quickly! Thank you so much.

    -- J

    http://thesinglegirlinlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG..this sounds amazing and I must try this like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!