7.17.2012

{coconut crusted} lemon bars



When I saw that the ingredient for Get Your Chef On {hosted by Julie and Jen} was coconutI was insanely excited! My mind was spinning with ideas on how I was going to incorporate it into a easy, yummy, and summery dessert. 

Lemon and coconut. How much more summery can you get? Not much. 

So I decided to throw some coconut into the crust of my favorite lemon bars {that post is SO old. and horrible.}

I thought the coconut was a fun spin on a classic summer dessert. I didn't use very much coconut, because I was looking for a lighter flavor, but depending on your taste, you sure could add in some more. 


Coconut Crusted Lemon Bars
Ingredients:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup shredded coconut

4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup lemon juice


Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13 pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, shredded coconut, and confectioners' sugar. Blend in the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Combine the sugar, baking powder, and 1/4 cup of flour so there will be no flour lumps. Stir the sugar mixture into the eggs. Finally, stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven. Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Top with some powdered sugar or more shredded coconut.



Bon Appetite! 


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I really love the combination of coconut and lemon! Yum, you nailed this! I think I need me some lemon bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooooving this combo! Lemon + coconut are two of my all-time favorite flavors EVAH. A coconut crust no less? Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these Sophie, you know I will be making these lemon bars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm. Mouth is Watering over here. Lemon and Coconuts..you got me. Done for. YUM! Thank you SO SO much for joining in the #GYCO Challenge Sophie! These really look amazing!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet these are good with the lemon and coconut flavor. My lemon tree has lemons that are soon to be ready for picking so I'm saving your recipe to try soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome crust! Love that you did it with lemon bars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemon bars AND coconut?! I think I'm in love. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic idea - I will have to try this next time I make lemon bars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look awesome! We would love to invite you to join us at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! We know our readers will love your fantastic recipes! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! I'm on the hunt for a good homemade lemon bar, so I'm pinning these. Stopped by from Pamela's link-up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!