10.12.2012

Oatmeal Apple Crumb Bars



Ok. So I know everyone in the States is experiencing fall right now. Like leggings, UGGS, apple orchards, and pumpkin spice latte weather. Y'all have no idea how lucky you are! If anyone wants to figure out a way to send all that in a care package {including the apple orchard}, just let me know. Thanks much. Anyways! Given that apples are pretty much the ONLY fall flavor I can get my paws on here, I figured I'd supply you guys with a few fall-like recipes. 

For the base of these bars I used my favorite oatmeal raisin cookie recipe {minus the raisins}, and then everything else was pretty easy to throw together. The apple layer is just sliced up apples coated in a little bit of flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The nutmeg gives it a little kick and really screams "FALL!" Then for the crumble topping, I, well… Made an average crumble topping- butter, sugar, flour, and another little dash of cinnamon. I can't get enough of the stuff! 

And there ya have it! A perfect quick, easy, and delicious fall recipe! 

When I made these last weekend, I packaged them up in two different containers. One to bring for my friends and one to leave at home. Honestly, they just kinda disappeared. I saw my friends going back for seconds and even thirds! I'd say that's a good sign ;) 

That afternoon we watched the Vow and then went swimming. Have you guys seen that movie yet? So stinking adorable, I could hardly stand it. Everyone was looking at me throughout the movie to see if I was like hyperventilating or what, because when I watch chick flicks, I make weird squeaky noises. I know, I'm weird. I actually read the book {written by the real people} awhile back, and found that the movie was actually quite different although a lot of things still stayed the same. I'd totally suggest reading the book!


Anyways. I'm sure you want the recipe now, don't you? 


Oatmeal Apple Crumb Bars

Oatmeal Cookie Base: For the base, I used my favorite oatmeal raisin cookies dough, minus the raisins, and then pressed it into a greased 9x9 pan. You could use any oatmeal cookie recipe though.

Apple Layer: 
3 medium-sized  apples 
1/4 c. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon 
1/2 tsp. nutmeg {feel free to amp up the nutmeg, if you wish!}

Thinly slice the apples. In a bowl, combine the apples with the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss until evenly coated. Spread evenly on top of the oatmeal layer. 

Crumble Layer: 
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. flour
dash of cinnamon 

Combine all ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of the apple layer. Bake at 400ºF for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before slicing.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. That crumb topping looks delicious!I wish I could come eat them with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring fall to you if you can bring these bars to me. The crumb topping on these bad boys look insane!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!