12.30.2012

Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins


The last couple of mornings, I've kicked myself in the BUTT on my runs. Not literally, just figuratively speaking, here. I usually go about 2-2.5 mi., but the last few, I've gone an extra 2 or so. That just translates to sore legs and a whoooooooooooooole lotta sweat. 

Yuck.

Of course, 4 mile runs is a good idea around the holidays. Running off all those cookies. and pie. and bread. and all that good stuff…It's kinda necessary if you don't want to blow up like a balloon. Just sayin'.


Now that all that heavy eating is over, I'm going healthy for the month of January. Partly because I just want to be a healthy person. The other part, is we're going on vacation to Cape Town, South Africa at the end of January and umm……… I'll be on the beach. in a swimsuit. a lot.

That being said, I'll be making lots of healthy recipes in the coming month. Cookies, muffins, granola, energy bars… All that good stuff :)


Today's muffins are soft and tender thanks to the buttermilk I used. Of course, if you don't have buttermilk in your fridge {we never do.} just use regular milk with a teaspoon or so of vinegar. TA-DA! Buttermilk. 

I also used whole wheat for 2/3 of the flour needed. I still wanted them to be a little fluffy, because I've noticed whole wheat flour tends to weigh my baked goods down, creating something dense and almost chewy. Play around with the ratio of flour. I'm sure you could use ALL AP flour or all whole wheat. It's totally up to you!



Although these muffins aren't super healthy {I still used part AP flour and a little sugar}, they're still free of butter and make for great breakfasts on the go! Plus… they have blueberries. Blueberries are fruit, duh! Nothing to be guilty about here!


Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
yields 12 medium-sized muffins 

3/4 c. low-fat vanilla yogurt
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk 
3/4 c. granulated sugar {plus more for sprinkling}
2 c. wholewheat flour
1 c. AP flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 c. blueberries {fresh or frozen}

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter 12 muffins tins; set aside. 
2. In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and sugar. 
3. Add in the dry ingredients. Stir until everything is combined. 
4. Slowly fold in the blueberries. Do this slowly so that the juice doesn't bleed into the batter. 
5. Spoon batter into each muffin tin, filling about 3/4. Sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before moving to a wire rack.  


Oh yah, and don't forget to sip your morning cup of coffee when you're whipping up the muffins!


Pin It!

3 comments:

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!