1.09.2013

Wholewheat Banana Nut Scones with Maple Glaze


The day I made these, I woke up having the need to bake. No, not a want. A need. I have days like that, where I'll wake up and can't think about anything other than a certain recipe, knowing that I'll get nothing done until I make it. It's kinda weird, but hey, life happens. So I made these before doing school… Priorities, people. 


I've had this recipe floating around in my mind for a couple days and have been wanting to make them ever since. Boy, did the work pay off! I figured I'd get all fancy and traditional on you today and use a round cookie cutter instead of cutting them into triangles. I realize they kinda look more cookies, but oh well. They tasted fabulous and that's all I care about! 


Bananas and maple may sound like a bit of an odd combination at first, I know. But seriously, they could not have gone together any better! The flavors meld together so wonderfully, all packed together in a cute little scone, perfect for tea, breakfast, or brunch. They tasted so homey and comforting. Perfect for a rainy day :) 


Wholewheat Banana Nut Scones with Maple Glaze

3 1/2 c. wholewheat flour
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 c. sour cream
2 large bananas, mashed {I didn't mash them up too much so there's be some texture left.}
3/4 c. walnuts, chopped

Glaze: 
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. milk
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, cream the butter, egg, sour cream, and bananas and pour into the flour mixture. Fold in the chopped walnuts. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 1/4 in. thick rectangle. Feel free to roll them a little thicker if you'd like. Using a biscuit cutter, cut about 20 circles. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Let cool before drizzling with maple glaze. 


Pin It!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!