3.04.2013

homemade {3 ingredient} energy bars


 It seems like lately, all the appliances that are important in my life... 
Are breaking. 
Dying.
 Slowly perishing.


A couple weeks ago, I was minding my own business, whipping together one of my favorite smoothies {banana and spinach, mind you.} All of a sudden, 'ol Bess decided she didn't want to work. Her spinny choppy thing was spinny but not choppy. I don't dig it. I then proceeded to make my smoothie in a glass with a spoon. Yah that worked out reeeeeeeal great.


Then, on a super flipping hot day {which is pretty much like every day.} my fan decided he didn't want to work either. His days of blocking out all annoying sounds while I did school and cooling me down during the hot nights {ok, this is getting weird.} were over. Let me tell you... Africa with no fan? Not a situation you want to be in. It seems like no matter HOW many layers you shed, you're still dripping sweat. It's so unattractive and gross. Ugh. And the worst part is you can't ever escape it! Unless you go and take an ice bath... Which actually sounds quite appealing at the moment.


Awhile ago, I saw a recipe for 3 ingredient energy bars. 3 ingredients? Energy bars? Count me in! The recipe calls for blending everything together in a blender. But who has two thumbs and no blender? This girl. If you're looking for an arm workout, making energy bars by hand is a great way to work those muscles. Forget the resistance bands, just grab a cutting board and knife and you're good to go!

Unless of course, you have the modern luxuries of a blender, by all means, use it. They save you a lot of hurt and time. Trust me, I know these things.

Just a little note about these energy bars- They're super adaptable. I have some ideas formulating for tons of varieties. Feel free to use whatever mixins you'd like though! Chocolate chips, apricots, pistachios, it's up to you! Just make sure to have 1 part dates 1 part dried fruit and 1 part nuts.


homemade {3 ingredient} energy bars

1 c. pitted dates
1/2 c. mixed nuts
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. seedless raisins
1/2 c. cranberries
1 1/2 tbsp. organic honey

In a blender, blend all ingredients until a paste has formed. Press the mixture between two pieces of parchment paper in a pan . Refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight. Cut into squares and wrap with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. 


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. HI! I just found this recipe and I can't wait to try it. Do they need to refrigerated? How long is the shelf life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possible to use dried apricots instead of dates? And maybe keep the nuts more whole?
    I'm trying to copy a favorite honey bar of mine and your recipe has come the closest on paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would not stick together. I had to dip with spoon. What keeps them together
    ,I even added a little olive oil still didn’t work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!