10.12.2013

banana oatmeal pancakes


There is one thing I've been learning lately. It basically came out of nowhere, hit me on the head {ahem. figuratively speaking.} and told me I cannot depend on anyone for my own happiness but myself. Happiness is a choice that only you yourself can make. Since moving to Africa, I've seen countless people who literally have nothing. But if you met them, judging by their attitude and their beautiful smiles spanning their face, you wouldn't assume it one bit. If they can be happy when they have nothing, I can be happy too. 



It's been so difficult, finding friends, having friends, and losing friends. Over the last few months, I've learned who my real friends are and aren't. People I thought I would be in relationship with the rest of my life, people I thought would always be there for me, people that I thought I would have fun times and laugh with… They just disappeared and proved to me, all of that was nothing. My life seems to be on this big roller coaster and I can't seem to depend on anyone. I'm learning I can't sit around waiting for that one person I wish would make an effort to make me happy. Because it's not gonna come. 


I'm sharing this not because I want people to feel bad for me or give me sympathy. I like to keep my blog free of negative thoughts, but it's what's up in my life right now. And I know there are people who are going through a similar situation. And if you're one of those people, I want to encourage you because it will get better. We're put in these situations to stretch ourselves and step out of our comfort zones to become the person God wants us to be. My piece of advice is to take your time. Go slow, breathe in the fresh air, and take your time. With everything. When you're taking your time instead of zipping right through life, things seem to get better. It's just how it works. But PLEASE. Don't wait around for people to make you happy. Because as cliche as it sounds, waiting for someone else to make you happy is the best way to be sad. Trust meeeeee, I know. When you let go of all expectations you have of people, your happiness returns and all that sadness just floats away. Let stupid people be stupid people. Don't cling to them. Wait for the ones who are worth your time and don't put you down constantly. You're worth more than that. 


So while I'm waiting for some rad people to come into my life {I know they're out there somewhere!!}, I can make my own kind of happy. Happiness doesn't have to mean having all these things, having a bunch of friends, going out every weekend. It doesn't have to be like that… Trust me, I'm learning. I can find happiness instead in the still of life. Bask in the quiet mornings and lazy afternoons. Whatever that little thing is that brings a glimmer of joy to your soul- do it. I encourage you. Don't wait around for someone else to come around. Make your own kind of happy, whether that be going for a long run, eating a huge slice of chocolate cake in silence, taking a hot bath with some candles, baking a cake for no apparent reason, do some yoga. Whatever it is, go and do it. 


My kind of happy? Starting my morning off with some yoga {in my pajamas, thanyouverymuch} on the porch, making pancakes, sipping my second cup of coffee, and blogging while I take advantage of the beautiful cool breeze that blows through my windows before it turns into sweltering hot African heat. Oh, and staying in my 'jams until noon. Because I have nowhere to go. Nothing to do. But I can still be happy. All I'm gonna say is, thank you Jesus for the carby greatness that is pancakes. 


banana oatmeal pancakes

3-4 bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. ground oat flour
1/2 c. wholewheat flour
1/2 c. quick cooking oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until smooth. Scoop onto a greased skillet or frying pan over high heat. Let pancakes cook for about 2-3 minutes before flipping to the other side. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Serve with maple syrup. 


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. This was a lovely post Sophie, I completely understand what you mean, sometimes creating your own happiness is exactly what you need! The pancakes look absolutely delicious and I love your new blog layout. God Bless and have a wonderful day x

    plumcherrytree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, it's beautiful. You have a real talent for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Sophie, I love it. These pancakes also look REALLY good, I have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, these sound wonderful! Writing the recipe down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie, you continue to inspire me every day with your creative recipes and wise words. You have been a huge inspiration to me ever since I found your blog about a year ago. I understand exactly what you're feeling. Stay positive, keep blogging, and never stop making pancakes like these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum these pancakes look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely making these this weekend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!