11.13.2013

wholewheat pumpkin spice yogurt bundt cake


Once upon a time, it occurred to me that I could easily make my own pumpkin puree. I've seen cubed pumpkin in the produce section since we got here, and was always whining that we didn't have canned pumpkin. Basically, pumpkin has been staring at me straight in the face and I've been without for the last two years because… Why? I don't know. Isn't that sad? Two years pumpkin-less and it could have been easily remedied like a looooong time ago. I'm a little slow. 


Since I had this marvelous pumpkin revelation, I threw a bunch of bags of pumpkin in the cart, boiled it, pureed it in the blender, and BOOM. Pumpkin puree in 20 minutes. I'm happy to have a tub of the stuff ALWAYS in the fridge for last minute situations. It's marvelous and I'd be lying if I said I didn't eat it out of a bowl, sprinkled with cinnamon and an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Oh, you guys, just stopittttt. 


Now that I have pumpkin at my disposal, you better believe I shall pumpkify all the things. I hope you don't mind I'm only a couple months late to the party. We'll have pumpkin recipes up the wazoo through Christmas, I can very much assure you. YAY! (???) Kay, so this cake? It's amazing. I always ALWAYS want sweets in the morning with my coffee {it's hereditary.}, which explains all the breakfast recipes on the blog. Since I'm always craving sweetness, I like having cake, cookies, bars, brownies, whatever available. But I want them to be healthy enough to eat for breakfast and not feel like crud later, know what I'm saying? Yah, you do. 


This cake is super dense, and dare I say it, moist from the large amount of pumpkin puree and plain yogurt. It's not overly sweet, but perfectly spiced and glorious. AND Healthy enough for breakfast! REJOICE. Although it is fantastic for breakfast, I have to say… It's weird eating a pumpkin cake at 7 am in the morning whilst sweating your buns off. It's kinda not right. Like when you're at the gym and about to lose your marbles with excitement because you think you hear rain banging against the roof. And then your friend is like "No, that's just sand." Africa lyfeeeeee. OOOH well, at least I have this cake. 


wholewheat pumpkin spice yogurt bundt cake 

2 c. pureed pumpkin
3/4 c. plain yogurt
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
3/4 c. quick cooking oats
1 1/2 c. wholewheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. mixed spice

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter and flour a bundt pan and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until smooth. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely before flipping out onto a plate. 


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE bundt cakes but =mine never turn out this good! LOVE that you used whole wheat ad well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks amazing! Im obsessed with (healthy ingredients) pumpkin oatmeal bars at the moment. I was sitting and lamenting that all healthy breakfast/snack recipes come in bites or bars, and I wanted to try a bundt cake. So I turned to Google and found this! Im trying it out today. I may decrease the sugar a bit so I can sprinkle wheat bran and brown sugar into the pan before I pour in the batter but that's just because I was dreaming of doing this anyways lol...thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I Love it...
    and i thing thats good for you >>


    FASHION ITEM Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!