12.17.2013

chunky peanut butter oatmeal dark chocolate cookies


I've been feeling really crappy about my blog lately. I haven't been posting as much as I used to and my stats are nearly a third {A THIRRRRRRRRD!} of what they were at one point. It's kind of discouraging to see how much work I put into each post being rewarded with that. I've also been getting sick of people's comments on my healthy eating/exercising. I know that this is for me, not anyone else and it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. It doesn't. But it's disheartening to hear the things people say sometimes. When I told my mom about my blog stats deteriorating, she said "I think I know why." referring to my healthy recipes. If that's the case, c'est la vie. Because healthy eating is my passion and I want to share it with anyone and everyone, unless of course, they don't care about it. Then by all means, go on eating your crap-laden cookies and cakes and let me know how you feel a few years from now. 



We went on a little road trip for a few days and you better believe I was that weirdo chick wearing hippie pants and TOMS, walking around with bananas and homemade energy bites in her bag. I don't care what people think if I have salads for every meal while we're eating out. I don't care if they judge because I drink fresh green juice. I don't care if they think I'm a freak for losing my mind over the sale they had on super cute bowls. {"My oats will look SO cute in there." -my mind.} Or if they rip on my cookies being free of eggs, butter, sugar, and flour. Trust me, I'll hear no end from my brothers. "WHY DON'T YOU JUST MAKE NOOOOOORMAL COOKIES?!" "Because I don't want you to clog your arteries and eat yourself to your death. PLUS. Don't you want to live to be 230?" That's why. 

But no matter what the heck you do, someone will always judge you for some reason. Healthy eating and healthy living isn't about other people. It's about doing something for YOU. So do it and be done with what people think. Eat your salads and enjoy your vegan, soy-free, nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free cookies. Dance with jubilee when you find a really great sale on bowls or find huge bags of flax seeds for cheap. Celebrate with a chocolate protein shake when you survive leg day. Do good for your body and be happy. THE END. 


Ok, rant over. Time for cookies.

I'm experiencing with vegan baking. DISCLOSURE: I'm not going vegan. Mostly because my parents seem like they would excommunicate me to an island or something. But I just think it's fun to mess around in the kitchen and come up with recipes that are suitable to different dietary needs. And I like to see how much nutrition I can pack into a thing before it starts tasting like twigs and grass. These cookies don't taste like twigs and grass, I can very much assure you. They're really simple and CHUNKY. I love chunky cookies. Forget those little thin ones. I like something you can really sink your teeth into. TA DA. I present to you… Chunky peanut butter oatmeal dark chocolate cookies. Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, processed sugar-free, and 100% fantabulous. 


chunky peanut butter oatmeal dark chocolate cookies {vegan, DF, GF}

1 3/4 c. oat flour
1/3 c. rolled oats
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. dairy-free milk
1/4 c. dark chocolate chunks {I used 85%}

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large combine all ingredients and only about half of the chocolate chunks. Roll dough onto balls {it should make about 12} and press remaining chocolate chunks into the tops of the cookies, smushing down slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack before transferring to an airtight container.


Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. These look very tasty to me. YUM!!! We all need to eat more healthy.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie...ok, um, if I could fly to Africa and hug the snot outta you, I would! I want to sit in the kitchen with you, across from a mug of whatever-floats-your-boat (I'm a Pepsi-One-aholic), and stare at you uncomfortably and assure you that you are amazing and lovely and inspiring and awesome and the best blogger-ella out there - FUR REALS!!!! I don't even cook or bake well, and I am not a creative or intuitive cook (my 4 kiddos and honey will say AMEN to that!)...but I just love, LOVE your blog. My 13 year old does, too - I can tell when she's reading your latest post, cuz she's giggling and laughing out loud. You are ridonk-a-tonk funny (don't know what that word means, but I snort every time you use it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...a bit more to say... Though we will likely never meet, I pray for you. You are special and different and shiny - and I love that about you. I am sad for you, for the loneliness that a missionaries life brings...but I will just keep praying. NEVER CHANGE, GURL!!!! You could blog about grass growing, and I'd still read every word and snort my Pepsi. Seriously - thank you for all that you share of yourself, your life, and these amazing recipes...healthy or not. Love every bit, every photo. My Christmas wish for you is that you know how awesome God has made you, and how your readers are amazing by you! Merry Christmas, Sophie!!!!!! If you're ever in Philadelphia, let's go granola-shopping! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so SO much. Your words are so encouraging and I don't think I could even make you know how much they mean to me! Thank you for your prayers. I would just LOVE to sit across from you with a huge mug of coffee and chat. Thanks again! I hope you had a very merry Christmas! You are such a wonderful, faithful reader!

      Delete
  4. Fist off- these cookies look amazing! Secondly, I too have had similarly negative feelings about my blogs success or lack of success in my mind and I try to remind myself that it is better to have a few loyal followers than lots of visitors who only stay for a few minutes and may never come back. Hard to keep that in mind though when you've worked so hard. Your pictures are amazing and I love your blog. There are tons of people out there who love healthy food (myself included) and will find your blog eventually, so don't give up! I also have parents who often judge my eating habits, but like you said, it's for you so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words! It is really hard to keep that in mind, but I definitely needed a reminder.

      Delete
  5. Your cookies look amazing, mainly because peanut butter. And chocolate. And the fact that they're only sweetened with maple syrup. I don't know how many food blogs I follow but I seem to end up making stuff from yours a lot because it all looks so good AND healthy! I'm in lucky in that my parents are also into healthy food but I definitely admire you for sticking to the healthy food thing without that support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie! I haven't commented on your blog before, but I LOVE it, and the healthy recipes in particular! Keep eating exactly how you want to eat, and keep sharing your amazing food with us too!

    These cookies might have to happen tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words! I definitely hope you give these a try!

      Delete
  7. Sophie, I've just stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it!! It's SOO cool that you're eating healthy and inspiring others to do the same. I know it's hard, but seriously, try not to worry about what other people have said about your blog. It's amazing and the right people are gonna find it eventually (like I've done!!!). Just remember to blog for yourself, it doesn't matter what other people say or think about it (unless it's good, in which case, take it as a compliment). And these cookies look absolutely INCREDIBLE, I can't wait to try making them :) Keep eating and living healthy and persevere with the blog cause, trust me, it's AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say that I LOVE your blog even more now it's turned healthy! Like you, healthy food is where my passion lies and I think your recipes and your posts are absolutely brilliant. Keep at it sweetheart! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I rarely, if ever, comment on anyone's blog (which, yes, might make me a terrible person -- I'm sorry :( I typically catch up in between various mounds of files in my office and just favorite new recipes) BUT!!! My friend sent me a link to your blog, which she follows & loves, because she knew I'm having a rough time finding food and recipes that are tasty but also adhere to new dietary restrictions due to a recent gluten and other delicious items intolerance-s. And I love reading your blog. I hadn't for about a month (one month before my first law school clinic trial, which was followed by 2 weeks of final exams) but I was THRILLED to have the time today to catch up. DOUBLED by the fact that I studied African and African Diaspora History in college and have been obsessed with South Africa and am aiming to go there as soon as I finish school and am not drowning under piles of massive debt (barely treading & it's happening!!!). Please continue blogging with healthy recipes and about your life (and us terrible non-commenting, reading-only viewers, well, at least I, will make more of an effort to give back). Thanks again for all your effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I want to speed up the Brooks Transcend is felt. I feel like hooves to toe! Timberland outlet nederland The feeling is truly amazing, I struggle to why the shoes seem so heavy and rigid. After a month and a half test, the sole has hardly budged. goedkope timberlands schoenen The fabric holds up well and shows no weakness. These shoes are really robust to other recent models.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With bistroMD you can trust that not only will you get tasty meals, but that every entree and each in bistroMD's weight loss program will be balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform to help promote healthy weight loss.

    STEP 1 - Select one of the diet plans for 5 to 7 days of meals.
    STEP 2 - Review your menu in advance and pick the meals you want for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your diet program.
    STEP 4 - Your meals are sent to your home.

    GET STARTED NOW - delivered to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. imp source d6n99m7o51 replica louis vuitton replica bags review replica bags uk hermes replica j7d27v5k41 replica bags seoul click this over here now t5j65m7b66 bag replica high quality replica bags chicago

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!