12.05.2013

cinnamon spiced cocoa granola with toasted coconut & almonds


Ok, so before we get fly into chocolate and granola and all this greatness, I have a little bit of wisdom to share. Lame, I know. But bear with me… I reward with food. 

I seriously love walking to and from the gym, especially with the cold, rainy weather we've been having. Those short walks give me time to actually hear myself think {two brothers and a baby in the house. NOIZEEE.}. And the other day, I had this divine revelation… Or as my mother called it an epiphany if you wanna get all fancy-wordy-pants. 

On the way home from the gym, I was going over in my head what I had done for my workout that day. It wasn't much; I didn't do a million reps of a trillion sets of a zillion exercises {if you can do that, I applaud you.} But what I did do, I felt like I did really well and felt super good about it. I'm trying to apply that concept to every aspect of my life. 

To my school {my grades. Ugh.} I get so caught up in the amount of school I have to get done rather than focusing on how good I do. Plus the fact that I'm supposed to be done with 10th grade in March… I can slow down if I need to. To my devotions- it doesn't matter how much time I spend in the Word, but that the time I do spend is good and I learn something from it. You can spend hours upon hours with your nose in the Bible and not get anything out of it. But you can also just spent ten minutes or so reading and in prayer and come away from it feeling refreshed and renewed. To my friends- I seriously have no friends. People just suck and people move to other countries. But I'd rather have ZERO friends than a bunch of crappy ones. To my blog- I really need to work on this. But only posting the recipes that were top notch and with good photos. In the blogging world, you get so caught up in what everyone else is doing. "Oh she posts 6 times a week, so I should too." What works for other people doesn't necessarily work for you. 

What I'm trying to say is… Quality over quantity. Do what you gotta do and do it GOOD even if that means doing a little less or working a little slower. Do whatever it is that helps you to put your best work forward. For the record, tons of work does not mean it's good work. In fact, in the long run, if it's really not done well, you only get behind because you have to go back and fix your careless mistakes. I speak from experience.


Time for granola now! You're rejoicing, I just know it. 

Remember what I was saying about putting my best work forward? Well. This granola here truly is divine and I edited the pictures about 5 different times before they turned out how I wanted them to. Truly the worst thing ever is when you have one heckuva recipe and cruddish photos. 

I made some chocolate granola with toasted coconut sometime back in the yesteryears. Three empty bowls and a chocolaty mouth later, I really regretted not writing down the recipe. Of course, I just got to making it for the blog last week, but better late than never. 

I amped up this recipe by adding cinnamon which adds a nice kick and almonds for extra crunch {and fibahhhh and prahhhtein.} It's fantastic on it's own, but what's really insane is sprinkling it on top of smoothies. Or filling a bowl with half smoothie, half granola. You know how it is. 


cinnamon spiced cocoa granola with toasted coconut & almonds

2 1/2 c. oats {I use quick-cooking}
2 tbsp. flax seeds
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 tbsp. oil {coconut oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, etc.}
5 tbsp. pure maple syrup {or liquid sweetener}
1/2 c. raw almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 c. coconut chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except coconut and almonds. Pour onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring through once during the baking time. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Add coconut and almonds to a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes or until just lightly toasted and brown. Stir into granola. Let cool completely before transferring to a container.


Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg this looks amaaaazing. making this as soon as i finish what's left of the coconut almond granola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! I'll keep your granola supply stalked ;) Hope you love it!

      Delete
  3. drooling! your photography is fab btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I weigh 69 kilos and I think at this point it really is soldes salomon chaussure not made for me! It is true that it is not at all the type of shoes I usually use. I prefer light models like Sayonara Mizuno chaussure salomon pas cher  (see Mizuno Wave test Sayonara) and change them more often. Let these prejudices, I go for a little aerobic outputSalomon Speedcross 3 Pas Cher. I put on the shoes and I am pleasantly surprised to on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!