2.10.2014

honey peanut butter & coconut cookies


Recently, I've been having some major baking fails. I'm guilty of sticking to what I know, failing to think outside the box. But when I do, things go majorly wrong. Not always. But it's more common than not. Last week, I had a stressful day of school {oh wait. that's every day.} and went into the kitchen for some baking therapy. I made some cookies out of dates, cocoa, and oats, and oh my heavens. They were absolutely horrid. When I tasted one, they resembled the texture and taste of play-doh. Yup, I've tasted play-doh. Have you not?! 


Those obviously didn't satisfy my cookie cravings; play-doh just doesn't do it for me these days, ya know? I've been having some thoughts of these peanut butter oatmeal cookies for awhile, trying to come up with some sort of creative way to remake them. They're like little chewy, peanut butter-y nuggets of my dreams. AMAZING. And you guys seem to like them too! They're among the popular bunch of recipes on this here blog.


Although the original recipe isn't vegan, this one ALMOST is. You can easily swap out the honey for maple syrup and ba-da-bing ba-da-boom, you've got yourself a vegan cookie! These cookies are so simple {SO. SIMPLE.} and require very few ingredients, all of which you most likely have lingering around in the neglected corners of your cupboards. They're gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, naturally sweetened, and somehow they magically taste like totally normal peanut butter cookies! I love when that happens. 

P.S. Sorry about these photos. Love rain. Hate the light. 


honey peanut butter & coconut cookies

3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
6 tbsp. honey {or maple syrup for a vegan version}
1 tsp. vanilla 
1 c. oat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. desiccated coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk peanut butter, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Add oat flour and baking soda. Stir until combined. Scoop dough into balls and roll in coconut flakes. Place on baking sheet and press down with a fork, forming a criss-cross pattern. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Yields 12 cookies. 


Pin It!

29 comments:

  1. Mmm, these look delicious Sophie! I'm totally going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look so nice! Great combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tasted the batter alone and it's so good! Substituted almond extract for the vanilla and added the coconut right into the batter. Excellent recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good golly, that sounds fantastic! I'm digging the almond extract. YUM!

      Delete
  4. I just discovered your blog and I love it! Our blogs had such a similar transformation! These cookies look beautiful :) can't wait to try some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound fantastic! And I think the photos are lovely! Do you think I could use agave instead of honey or maple syrup? I'm not a huge fan of either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've never used agave, but I'm assuming it acts the same as honey or maple syrup. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. These look amazing! But, if you're making them for someone with a gluten intolerance or celiac disease, make sure the oat flour is labelled gluten free. Most commercial oats are contaminated with wheat and can make someone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it matter if you use natural peanut butter or does it have to be the regular kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regular peanut butter for the recipe. I'm assuming natural peanut butter would be a little too runny. If you wanted to use natural though, you could try adding some extra oat flour until it seems right.

      Delete
  8. making these right now. we shall see how they go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. o-em-gee!! these cookies were so Aaa-MAZING!!!! my husband is a very very picky eater (drives me insane!!!) especially with sweets, and im so glad and relieved that he actually took an interest in these cookies! THANK GOD FOR SOPHIE!!!!! my cookie crisis is finally over!!!! please post more cookie recipies!!! again, thank you sophie!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I've never used oat flour before. Can regular flour be used or is it quite different?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I made your cookies and they are a dream of peanuts. I made shredded coconut from a fresh coconut and it was so yummy, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love these cookies! Fresh coconut? OH MY WORD. They must have been amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  12. Holy wow -- these look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made them.
    They are very tasty, but also very heavy and filling. I used chunky peanut butter for some extra texture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so good! Filling for sure but at least the means I can stop after two! Mine yielded 15 cookies. Added maldon sea salt flakes to finish for extra depth of flavour, delicious! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Lindsay - Calgary Canada

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quite tasty, but I found them to be a bit dry and crumbly, as there is no liquid or binder in the original recipe. I added a few tablespoons of melted coconut oil which helped a bit, but I think adding a bit of applesauce (or egg for non-vegans) would help to make them a bit chewier. Otherwise, great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these taste like healthy mazapan treats from mexico--- except way healthier. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!