9.21.2011

Red Velvet Cake Balls

Oh goodness! Where do I start?! ... 

I have been wanting to make these bite-size wonders since the moment I saw them on a baking magazine cover. They always looked so cute, elegant, easy, and most importantly- DELICIOUS!! I finally had a reason to make them and went at it full speed. I found the recipe from one of my favorite blogs, bakerella.com. You should stop by her blog... There are TONS more beauties like these!

As I was candy-coating them, I ran into a little issue. When I took out the first batch of melted chocolate stuff, I noticed it was burnt, and it turned all chunky and gross. Luckily I didn't use the whole thing at once, otherwise I would have been out of luck! But it turned out, I needed those few 
"chunks o' chocolate" because I ran out after doing only like 18 balls! So I just used some white chocolate chips instead{which didn't turn out as well, but whatcha gonna do, right!?} So please ignore the ones that looked like they're covered in craft glue. :P

ALSO, BEWARE OF RED HANDS AND SMELLING
LIKE CUPCAKES UNTIL YOU'RE 86!

Red Velvet Cake Balls

1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
wax paper
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)
I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It’s easier to work with when it’s hot.









Balls of cake and hands of red!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

{SOPHIE}


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. hi sophie! thanks for following my blog and for the comment! your blog is adorable. keep up the great work! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!