9.02.2013

toasted coconut banana smoothie


The temperatures are rising, and all I want is smoothies. Fresh, cold, icy, refreshing smoothies. Green smoothies, chocolate smoothies, strawberry smoothies, ALL THE SMOOTHIES! I could probably have one for every meal and would totally be a happy camper. 

I've recently become obsessed with toasted coconut. OBSESSED, I tell you. It's crunchy, crispy greatness has been adorning my breakfasts lately and I just can't get enough. You can't get shredded coconut around these parts other than "desiccated coconut" that's basically like snow. 

BLEHHHH. Def not as pretty as these big, chunky flakes I found at a grocery store when we were out of town awhile back. I got a big 'ol bag and it's almost gone. I sad. 



This smoothie is so simple and refreshing. Nothing fancy going on. Just a few bananas, coconut that's been lightly toasted under the broiler, some light coconut milk, ice cubes, and a little dash of cinnamon and vanilla extract for added flavor. Then ya throw it all into a blender and blend it up until all smooth, creamy, and luscious. 

I not only topped the smoothie OFF with the toasted coconut, but it also found its way into the blender. Coconut errrywherrrrrr. It gives the smoothie a little funkalicious texture that I absolutely adore. I also love when the shredded coconut that gets sprinkle atop the smoothie freezes and becomes extra crunchy. 


I'm a crunch freak. Crunch-a-holic. Crunch-o-maniac. Crunch-a-la-don. Sorry,  I'll stop before this gets weird. Errrr… Yah. 

What I'm trying to say is… You need this in your life. 

Have it for breakfast. Have it for a snack. HAVE IT FOR LUNCH! Been there, done that. I won't judge. 


toasted coconut banana smoothie

1/3 c. coconut flakes
2 bananas 
2 c. ice cubes
1/2 c. light coconut milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Spread coconut onto a lined cookie sheet. Place under your broiler for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown; set aside. Place all ingredients {save a tablespoon or so of the coconut for topping if desired} in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into two small glasses or one large glass and top with remaining toasted coconut. Serve immediately. 


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my yummy! I adore toasted coconut I can't wait to try this smoothie! Great recipe Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I loooove toasted coconut too. Hope you enjoy! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds sooo yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    Janelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smoothies..n this one looks quite interesting..i so wanna try it.

    Blendtec

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!