2.18.2013

cinnamon swirl banana bread


I don't know what it is about banana bread, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the best comfort foods on the face of the planet. Think about... Have you ever met someone who DIDN'T like it? If you have, I think it may be time to find some new friends. Hey, it's just a suggestion. Yes, what foods people like and dislike, determines my friendships. 


I have this recipe for banana bread that I've been making for ages. It came from a cute little old church cookbook, with some of the best recipes for all things comfort food. I made this banana bread all the time, and it's one of the first things that got me into baking. That AND it gave my first baking battle wound. Memories. 


I love church cookbooks, with hearty recipes, stories from the cute little ladies that made them, and yellowed pages. The recipe page for this banana bread was stained brown and covered in mashed banana, butter, and milk. And for some reason, it just made me love it even more. Tried and true recipes are always the best! 


On a Saturday morning, when it was sunny out, my family was gone, and my music was blasting, I decided to make banana bread. Because a) I mostly bake on the weekends. {or when I'm feeling emotional.} b) we had a million and one bananas in the freezer. and c) I just wanted banana bread. 


I went on a mad search for the recipe but could not find it anywhere! We left that cookbook at home when we moved {I swear, our brains were not working when we were in the process of packing.} so I logged onto my blog because I thought I had shared it with you way back when. But nope! I continued digging through all my well organized folders and notebooks {ha. just no.} but STILL could not find it.   I figured I'd just use a muffin recipe that I thought I maaaaaay have based off of the bread recipe from home. Are you still following? I'm afraid I've lost you. 


Anyways. After a few changes here and there, I'm pretty sure I've come up with the best banana bread recipe. ever. Not to brag or anything, but seriously, this stuff is the bomb! Just like how gramma would make it. It's fluffy, light, tender, and not too overly sweet. The cinnamon swirl in the middle of the loaf adds the perfect touch and a little bit of crunch on top. But if you don't feel like going the extra mile, feel free to just make the bread as is. You can't go wrong either way! Perfect for breakfast, alongside a cup of joe. Ahh yes. 

I was so excited to share this with you guys! If you follow me on Instagram {which you totally should. I'm new to it. And toooootally addicted.} you already got a sneak peek. Since I'm not posting as much lately, I'm doing my best to spread the posts out instead of there being 3 posts in a week and only 1 the next. Know what I mean, jelly bean? 

Ok, time for banana bread now. Sorry to keep you waiting. 


cinnamon swirl banana bread

2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 egg
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 c. milk
2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda

cinnamon swirl

2 tbsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. granulated sugar

Prepare the cinnamon swirl by mixing together cinnamon and 3 tbsp. sugar; set aside. Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the egg, butter, and sugar. Add in the milk and bananas. Mix in the flour and baking soda. Stir until smooth. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the cinnamon sugar, and swirl with a knife. Next, add the rest of the batter, and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before pulling out of pan and slicing. 


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! My housemate was just wanting to get a banana bread recipe so I'll be writing this one down! I also love banana bread with chocolate chips in it. I have a friend who does it and I was shocked that I had never had it or thought of it before as it's just so tasty! I love cinnamon too though so I'm getting a bread tin tomorrow and going to have to get baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making this soon. Hurry up and get brown and mushy bananas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, YUM, YUM!!! Looks great! Would love it if you shared this & any other recipes at my Sweet & Savory Saturdays Link Party: http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com/2013/03/sweet-savory-saturdays-2.html. Hope to see you there!

    ~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever wanted to get free Instagram Followers?
    Did you know that you can get these AUTOMATICALLY & ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!