5.28.2013

apple cinnamon baked muesli


So can we like, be real for a sec? The thing about being a blogger, is people only get to see the things that you choose to put out there- the pretty things, the good days, the yummy recipes, and the beautiful pictures. What you don't see are the REAL things that go on behind the scenes, the crappy days, the recipes that end up being thrown away, and the pictures that, even though you took 120 pictures, the lighting just wasn't right. I feel like I only write the funny cute things, but none of the stuff that's actually… going on in my life. So let's be real. I wanna talk. I don't know why, but it hit me this weekend that… I really don't have many friends. And it's getting old. Sure, I have three close friends and they're OHMYGOSHTHEFREAKINGBESTEST. But over the last year and a half since moving to Namibia, I haven't really clicked with anyone. And I think for the well being of a person, they NEED that person that they click with- they can cry with, laugh with, dance with, and be crazy with. I have a weird thing where I don't cry often, but when I do, it just comes in a random flood of emotions and the gates break open and the tears come pouring. Sunday night at youth group, during worship, I all of a sudden couldn't sing the lyrics. My eyes started feeling like they were about to pop out of my head from holding back all the tears that were threatening to spill. After worship, my nose was running and one of the leaders came up to me and asked me if I was feeling sick. And at that question, I just let go. I burst into tears. I sat down and just… couldn't stop. Then one of my best friends came up, asked if I was okay, and asked if I needed to talk. I nodded my head and we headed outside. I told him what was going on. I feel excluded. and lonely. Things have gotten mixed up and I've been hurt. I was sitting there thinking I have no friends when I had a wonderful one sitting right there, letting me cry my eyeballs out, and encouraging me to the best of his ability. Sure, I could sit here feeling sorry for myself, OR I could be thankful for the gosh dang awesome people God HAS put in my life and do my best to meet new people. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm struggling, yes, and have been feeling like I'm on the verge of tears all weekend. My eyes burn from crying so much, and my mind is confused by a million and five things. But I'll get through it and at the end, I'll be a better person because of the trials I've gone through and the courage I've taken to step out of my comfort zone. So what the heck does this have to do with breakfast? Well not much. Other than the fact that when I'm stressed and feeling like a pile of dog crap, I go into the kitchen and whip up something yummy, and for those few minutes, everything's ok. Be cool. Eat food. 


apple cinnamon baked muesli

2 c. muesli
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. honey
1 c. applesauce
2 small apples

In a small bowl, combine the muesli, seeds, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add eggs, honey, milk, and applesauce. Pour batter into a greased 9x7 pan. Bake at 375ºF for 20-25 minutes. 



Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. well I hope you have a great day, Sophie. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I'm homeschooled as well, so I can understand why your'e feeling lonely. It can be hard sometimes. Just remember that your'e young, and it will get better. High school sucks. :P And remember the phrase, "Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day." xxx Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for that reminder :) And yes. High school sucks.

      Delete
  2. Having a few close friends is so much better than a lot of "friends" who are more like strangers. Focus on the people who really matter!

    xoxo
    Mona
    http://chinupbuttercup.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get what your going through. I feel like that a lot! hopefully it gets better! The breakfast looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling better already. I just had a really tough weekend. :)

      Delete
  4. This baked muesli looks super yummy! I hope you are feeling better! You'll figure things out. I have been going through a really tough patch. I write and blog and fear my dreams will never come true and I'll just be stuck forever because my blog won't grow and my books won't sell. I really have no friends other than my mom and I've never had a boyfriend. But like you, I'm lucky in a lot of ways and I have to be thankful for that. What gets me through is believing things will all work out in the end. I hope that helps you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sophie! I've been there! I mean, I've REALLY been there. I am 43 years old, but I was once a 14 year-old girl living in Africa with my missionary parents. I grew up in Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire) and that's where I learned to love to cook. It was so boring that I started reading the encyclopedia and then when I got bored with that, I started reading cookbooks. When I was 16 my Mom let me make all the lunches for a whole week of conferences we had in Daloa, Cote d'Ivoire. Each day I made a different nationality...one day, French Onion Soup, another Tacos, etc. The French missionary said it was the best French Onion Soup he'd ever tasted. I'm sure he was just being nice, but I've been looking for that recipe ever since! Well, you hang in there...I am very social and had a hard time after my brother graduated from high school and I was still left at home. I ended up making a couple friends from church and I made friends with some French kids and Lebanese kids. I made some of my most precious memories during that time - I loved learning about how kids in other cultures acted (kissing every body in the whole party on both cheeks to say hello AND goodbye - very time consuming but a sweet custom), zooming around town on their mopeds, starting little businesses of their own. Anyway, just wanted to say Hang In There, it gets better! My time spent in Africa formed who I am as a grown person and I'll never forget those times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent read, Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work,If anyone interested similar one's have a look here thanks

    listateacuppuppies for sale online

    shih tzu puppies for sale near me

    buy puppy online

    fuhrerschein-kaufen-schweiz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!