2.13.2014

chocolate chocolate chunk banana muffins


We were out of town for about five days last week, road tripping. Africa-style. Road tripping in 'Frica is not the same as in America, let me assure you. There aren't Starbucks to stop at every 10 miles. You can go hundreds of miles without seeing a single being. If you have to pee, you either have to hold it or go amongst the snakes and hyenas. There are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pot holes. Did I mention there are a lot of potholes? After our driving, I felt like my insides were still shaking in there. It's a weird dealio.


One of the things I miss the most while being away from home is my food. {Amongst other things like, sleeping in my own bed, going to the gym, being with my doggy, and if we're being totally honest here, I don't have to wear pants. The things we take for granted.} Did you know vegetable-withdrawl is a thing? IT IS. Throughout the trip, my health-food cravings ended up with me laying in bed right before we left for dinner, shoving rice cakes and peanut butter in my mouth like I was being paid to do it. When I found oranges and apples in the little town store {I kid you not, this town consisted of a bakery, gas station/store, and two lodges.}, I nearly did a jig. FOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I never thought I'd be so excited to get away from yummy pastries and buttery fish and fries. 


I'll admit, my priorities are somewhat screwy. Before I was unpacked or showered after driving in the desert all day, you bet these fudgy chocolate muffins were baking away inhe oven. What can I say, chocolate holds a place in my heart. Above personal hygiene apparently. Kiddinggggg. I've been thinking up these muffins foreverrrrrrr. I made that single serving muffin and had high hopes of making a full batch recipe. I'm happy to report, these exceeded my expectations. When I gave my mom a bite, she was all "THESE ARE HEALTHY!?" Little did she know, there were no eggs, dairy, processed flour, or added sugar. So yah. 

I feel kind of horrible about the gaping whole in this blog as far as Valentine's Day recipes go. I'm so not one of those bloggers who post seasonally. But really, why is it that we can only post red velvet recipes starting mid-January and through Valentines? But if I don't make those dates, you're telling me I have to wait a whole year? Uhh no. In my opinion, pink, sparkles, red velvet, and chocolate never go out of style. I think these chocolate muffins count for a Valentine's recipe though, right? They're fudgey, chocolatey, and filled with love. Perfect for sharing with your significant other. Or if you're like me, maybe watching chick flicks alone and eating one or three. Just a suggestion. 


chocolate chocolate chunk banana muffins

3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 c. maple syrup/honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. non-dairy milk
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease or line a muffin tin. In a large bowl, whisk mashed banana, milk, vanilla, and sweetener. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until smooth. Gently fold in chocolate chunks. Scoop into prepared muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. Yields 10 medium-sized muffins. 


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. These look amazingg!! I just wanted to say that I am a huge fan of your blog and all your stories and recipes :) I don't think I've ever posted on here but I love reading all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you might be performed high-quality job to share this recipe.Chocolate is my favorit sweet. I consistently like consuming chocolate. That is looking nice chocolate recipe and it helps to all the chocolate lovers. I'm not cocking however consume very good. I have some just right work expertise with a Mobile Van Advertising in Patna and my words are obviously headquartered on what I felt via such processes prior to now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!