2.01.2014

SUPER FLUFFY cinnamon wholewheat pancakes


Saturdays are my favorite. Almost every Saturday morning, my brothers and my dad go and play soccer with a bunch of guys for the morning. That means that while they're away, my mom and I get free reign of the TV. This never happens, because… Teenage boys and their video games. That is all. 

I savor those quiet, dark, lazy mornings. While my mom and my little baby sissy poo were on a walk, it was just me, pancakes, and silence. I love it. People always complain about pancakes being so much work, having to stand over a stove, pouring and flipping, pouring and flipping, pouring and flipping. Personally, I love it and it's all part of the experience. Mixing, pouring, flipping, isn't the same as removing from plastic bag and popping in the toaster. None can compare. 


I love having my weekend rituals. I sleep in a little late {which for me equals 7:45.}, just lay in bed for awhile to think, stay in my pajamas all day and watch movies, make pancakes, and sip my coffee as I flip. Last weekend, I made some wholegrain pancakes and made a second batch to photograph for the blog. Those are still in my drafts folder. Then this week, I wasn't planning on making pancakes to post, so I dumped a bunch of ingredients in a bowl. I don't know what it is, but whenever I make something without writing down the recipe, it turns out superior to when I take the time to jot down ingredients. 


WELL. Those pancakes were the most tender, light, fluffy pancakes I have ever made in my entire life. Before I even finished my last bite, I was rinsing out the mixing bowl and grabbing the bag of flour to make another batch and freeze. The things I do for my invisible pancake-loving internet friends. Using 100% wholewheat flour in recipes kinda tends to get a bad rap for weighing down baked goods. HOWEVER. I used three eggs in these pancakes and lots of leavening. 


I mentioned in my last post, when it comes to pancakes and banana bread I am a purist. I don't see how people can add all the things and still enjoy them for what they really are. Every once in awhile I'll add some bananas or nuts to my pancakes, or chocolate chips or oats to my banana bread. But I just can't stray away from the simple recipes. This pancake recipe is now my new go-to. They're simple, quick, lightly sweetened, hearty, and so dang fluffy. If you're one of those people who like pouring everything but the kitchen sink into your weekend pancakes, I'd suggest using this recipe as a base. 

Fluffy pancakes FTW. 


SUPER FLUFFY cinnamon wholewheat pancakes 

3 large eggs
1/2 c. milk 
2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/3 c. wholewheat flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda

In a large bowl, whisk oil, milk, eggs, and sugar. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix until combined. Pour batter onto a greased frying pan over medium-high heat. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown before flipping. Top with warm maple syrup. Recipe yields about 6 medium-sized pancakes.


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. These look AMAZING! Your Saturdays sound sooooo relaxing; I'm just sitting down after being up since 9am cleaning the entire house and I still have a pile of homework with my name on it. I might make these tomorrow morning to make up for such a sucky Saturday :)

    Tosin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you :) Hope you give these a try! They'll make any sucky saturday a whole lot better!

      Delete
  2. There is nothing better than pancakes for breakfast..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try making bacon pancakes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat bacon or any meat, really. hahaha but you could add some chopped bacon to these! I'm sure they'd be great.

      Delete
  4. I Love whole wheat pancakes. I use buttermilk and they are soooo light and fluffy. I don't even put any oil or butter in mine either. I have only used baking powder, never soda. I might try this.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, yum, yum! Pancakes are my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I have to make these too! And Saturday mornings are always the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!